Happy, Happy Monday!
Avocados, garlic, grapefruit, green tea, green leafy vegetable, walnuts! What do all of these foods have in common? They all naturally cleanse our liver.
Be Marvelous in your Monday and add some to your daily diet.
The liver detoxifies and cleanses the blood of poisons that enter through the digestive tract, skin and respiratory system, however, when the liver is overly stressed from excessive toxins it can throw our whole system off-balance and compromise our good health. A properly functioning liver cleanses the body and allows for proper absorption of nutrients.
Incorporating these foods into your diet regularly will help in maintaining a healthy liver.
- Garlic contains compounds that activate liver enzymes responsible for flushing out toxins from the body and nutrients that protect the liver form toxic damage.
- Grapefruits are rich in vitamin C and antioxidants and also contain flavonoids know as naringenin that causes the liver to burn fat instead of storing it.
- Greens have catechins that eliminate liver fat accumulation and promote proper liver function.
- Leafy greens help to neutralize heavy metals.
- Avocados protect against toxic overload and boost the livers cleansing power. There is some research that shows eating one or two avocados a week for as little as 30 days can repair a damaged liver. Source
- Walnuts contain high levels of amino acids and omega-3 fatty acids that help detoxify the liver and oxygenate the blood.
Other foods that cleanse and detoxify are apples, beets, carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, artichokes, asparagus, dandelion, ginger, lemons, limes, watercress, wheatgrass, seaweed, lemongrass, turmeric and olive oil.
Below are two recipes I made using several of the cleansing foods.
Broccoli Carrot Salad
Preparation Time: 20 minutes
- 3 cups broccoli florets
- 1 cup, strips or sliced carrots, raw
- 4 tbsp red onions
- 1/2 cup cranberries, dried
- 1/2 med avocado
- 1/3 cup eggless mayonnaise, (I used Trader Joe’s brand) or you can use regular mayo.
- 4 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 dates
- 1 tsp Trader Joe’s 21 Seasoning Salute
- 1 /2 tablespoon Trader Joe’s Sweet Sesame Seaweed
- 1/2 cup, chopped walnuts
- Clean broccoli florets, chop into bit size pieces and transfer to large bowl.
- Add the next three ingredients.
- Place peeled avocado into food processor, add the dates, lemon juice and mayo, blend until smooth. You may have to add more juice or water to get the right consistency, depending on the size of the avocado you use.
- Mix avocado mixture with ingredients in bowl, mix well.
- Add Trader Joe’s 21 Seasoning Salute and sweet sesame seaweed, stir to mix. This step is optional, you can omit if you don’t have these ingredients.
- Add in a dash of sea salt and pepper if you like.
- Sprinkle on walnuts, serve and enjoy!
Mean Green Detox Juice
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
- 2 cups kale
- 2 cups collard greens
- 2 cups romaine
- 1 medium (3″ dia) apple, raw
- 1 fruit (2-3/8″ dia) lemon, raw
- 1 cup green tea, steeped
- Process all ingredients thru juicer.
- Mix with the steeped green tea.
- Drink up.
Only 5 more day to enter.
Question of the day.
What is your favorite cleanse recipe?
How often do you do cleanses?